Jobline: Communications and Social Media Officer
Perennia Food and Agriculture Inc. is Nova Scotia’s food sector development agency. Our mission is to support growth, transformation, and economic development in Nova Scotia’s agriculture, seafood, canna-bis, and food and beverage sectors.
To assist in this effort, we are seeking a Communications and Social Media Officer to join our Marketing and Communications Team.
This is an excellent opportunity for a communications professional with a few years of relevant experience who enjoys a fast-paced and creative environment working with a top-notch in-house design team and a diverse and passionate team of specialists and food scientists. If you also have an aptitude for using online tools and editing software, this position would also be a great fit.
This position is all about variety. You will be supporting the implementation of the company’s marketing and communications plan by creating, coordinating content, and managing our social media channels (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and LinkedIn) in partnership with the graphics team, writing news releases and approaching media to get some attention for our projects and program, writing online and printed content, working on special events, doing basic video editing, and working with specialists to record and edit their podcasts.
Our Marketing and Communications Team includes a Marketing and Communication Specialist (currently on maternity leave until fall 2022), Marketing Brand Lead, and a Graphic Designer. This team reports directly to the CEO, who has a background in journalism, corporate communications and marketing.
This can be a work-from-home/hybrid office position with an average 90/10 split depending on the work required with the team. It can also be 100 percent in the office with the ideal onsite location being in either our Kentville or Truro offices. For us, it’s about the right fit and talent. Location is negotiable based on the needs of the applicant.
This position’s principal responsibilities will be:
• Writing a variety of social media content and working with the graphic designer to develop eye-catching and complementary graphics
• Co-ordinating our very busy social media schedule to increase our presence and reach using Hootsuite
• Reviewing and copy-editing fact sheets, publications, and articles written by specialists and, at times, writing original content for web and print
• Attracting media attention through news releases and media outreach
• Working with specialists and program teams to understand the communication supports needed for workshops, field days, and conferences
• Write solid media releases and, when needed, be comfortable with media outreach and working with the team to prepare specialists for media interviews
• Facilitating webinars with team specialists using Zoom and at times being the behind-the-scenes support the specialists as needed
• Working with team specialists to help them develop storyboards for informational and promotional videos
• Supporting specialists by recording and editing podcasts and videos
• Managing distribution lists and sending newsletters on Mailchimp
• Creating surveys using Survey Monkey
The ideal candidate will have:
• Diploma/Certification in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations, or some post-secondary education, and related three years of experience in a marketing or communications role
• An understanding of social media and experience in Hootsuite
• Excellent writing skills and relevant experience writing for different formats as well as media releases
• Exceptional attention to dealing with an emphasis on editing and proofreading
• The ability to implement strategies and tactics to stay hyper-organized
• Exceptional Microsoft 365 skills including Word, PowerPoint, and Teams
• Demonstrated experience using SurveyMonkey, Mail Chimp, and Zoom
• Ability to work independently and stay on deadline but also work collaboratively when needed with an intact awareness of the importance of communication among team members
• Adaptable to changing priorities and a keen willingness to learn and develop
Perennia offers a competitive compensation package based on the candidate’s skill and experience. This includes base salary, benefits, employer matching RRSP plan, personal days, and three weeks’ vacation to start.
To apply for this exciting position at Perennia, please email a combined PDF or Word resume and cover letter noting compensation expectations to Janice MacMullin, Human Resources Manager at HR@perennia.ca by end of the day on April 14, 2022.
Perennia is an equal opportunity employer. Only those candidates who move onto the interview phase will be contacted. For more information on Perennia please visit www.perennia.ca