Jobline: Social Media & Communications Intern, Ulnooweg
Ulnooweg has partnered with the Joint Economic Development Initiative (JEDI New Brunswick) under their Indigenous Internship Program to offer a 1 year internship at Ulnooweg as a Communications and Social Media Intern.
The Opportunity – Social Media and Communications Intern
The Social Media and Communications Intern will work with Ulnooweg’s Communications team to support the communications needs and promotion of UInooweg’s entities, initiatives, programs, and events. The selected candidate will be given the opportunity to work closely with our Communications Manager to learn and expand skills in the communications fi eld including identifying opportunities for creative communications initiatives, creating and building exciting and engaging content from various platforms, maximizing website messaging and content, coordinating the management of social media to amplify reach, and eff ectively utilizing media coverage to promote events and activities. Funding for this position is being provided through JEDI’s Indigenous Internship Program, which off ers the opportunity for host organizations like Ulnooweg to provide job placements to recent Indigenous post secondary graduates allowing participants the benefi t of gaining on the job experience, skills, and capabilities in their fi eld of study with the long term objective of securing full time employment with the host organization. In order to qualify for funding, eligible interns must hold a post secondary degree or diploma from a recognized post-secondary institute received within the last 3 years, be currently unemployed or underemployed, be a registered band member currently residing in New Brunswick, and be legally eligible to work in Canada. (https://jedinb.ca/indigenous-internship-program-iip)
What you’ll learn to do:
• Develop and deliver creative awareness strategies
• Build online marketing initiatives
• Provide direction into the messaging and design of promotional materials
• Contribute to the expansion of our social media presence focusing on outreach and engagement with youth
• Manage social media channels by monitoring metrics and exploring creative initiatives to increase engagement
• Provide recommendations for website content and collaborate with web developer to increase use and value of websites.
What we are looking for:
• You are tech savvy and in tune with the social media habits of youth.
• You have a reputation for taking initiative and having a strong work ethic
• You are creative and known for thinking outside the box
• You possess good analytical and problem- solving skills.
• You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• You work effectively with minimal supervision in a team-oriented workplace.
• You have knowledge and respect of Indigenous history, practices, values and beliefs.
• A degree or diploma from a recognized post secondary institution in Business Administration with a concentration in Marketing and/or Communications obtained within the last 3 years.
• Proficiency in the Microsoft Office suite.
• Experience with Adobe, HTML editing software, InDesigns, iOS, Gmail and other related tools an asset.
• Experience working with Indigenous communities or organizations an asset.
• Eligibility for the Indigenous Internship Program.
• We will also consider equivalent training and experience.
The Employer – Ulnooweg Development Group
Now in its 35th year of operation, Ulnooweg Development Group Inc., (“Ulnooweg”) is an established and innovative not-for-profit organization dedicated to the success of the Indigenous communities, individuals and businesses of Atlantic Canada. It has created two other organizations – the Ulnooweg Education Centre (an education and research charity) and the Ulnooweg Indigenous Communities Foundation, a charitable foundation that is taking a lead role in building and strengthening relationships with the philanthropic sector. The three organizations now provide a range of financial and community development services to entrepreneurs, communities and community enterprises, and Indigenous led commercial and charitable projects. These services include loans, grants and professional supports; financial and strategic analysis and planning; education and training; and connection to the philanthropic sector.
Ulnooweg, pronounced [Ul-noo-wegg], is a Mi’kmaw word which broadly translated means: “to make indigenous or to adapt beliefs, customs, etc. of the Mi’kmaq”. In this context, Ulnooweg Development Group would translate to an “Indigenized” Development Group incorporating the beliefs, customs, values, etc. of the Mi’kmaq nation. We are all on the same team working together toward a vision of self-sustaining, healthy communities
To apply, please email your resume and cover letter to Michelle Richard (email@example.com) by November 5, 2021, 5 p.m. AST.