Gift of Communication: Virtual Panel Discussion
The International Association for Business Communicators (IABC) Maritime Chapter is partnering with United Way for the annual Gift of Communication event on October 21, 2020, 9a.m.-12p.m.
This year’s virtual event will feature communications professionals from different sectors discussing how they have navigated crisis communications during COVID-19. Join us for a deep dive into the pandemic’s impact on organizations in fields such as non-profit, health care, real estate and public relations.
Our four speakers have extensive communications experience and will share lessons learned, challenges, successes, and advice from the pandemic’s first wave and insights on how to be ready for a second wave.
Deidre Taylor, Director of Communications – Research, Innovation and Discovery, Nova Scotia Health
• How NS Health operationalized its communications response to COVID-19
• Key lessons learned during the first wave (scale and longevity of the response)
• Supporting service reintroduction and preparing for the second wave
Lydia Phillip, Training and Communications Manager, Black Business Initiative
• The impact of COVID-19 on Black business’ and community
• The impact of social issues at the local level
• Non-profit’s role on advocating support for clients
Karen White, Vice President, Issues and Crisis Management, NATIONAL Public Relations
• What’s NEXT: Communications thinking that’s three steps ahead
• Learning from the first wave and planning for what’s to come
• Strategic framework to understand where you are in the crisis communications planning cycle and determine crucial next steps for success.
Tanya Taylor White, Director of Communications, Nova Scotia Association of Realtors
• What leadership in communications looks like during a crisis
• What communication looks like in times of crisis
• What is next for communication
As part of the event, there will be an opportunity to workshop your crisis communications challenges with our panel of experts and other attendees, please come prepared with a scenario to work on. Also, there will be a general Q&A during the last hour. Please send your questions for our panel to Elizabeth Sutcliffe at email@example.com or Juanita Onochie at firstname.lastname@example.org by October 16, 2020.